Sunday, October 4, 2009

Ryan's Gift To Me

On Saturday morning Ryan gave me the best gift. He woke up early, around 6am, and was struggling to get back to sleep. Tossing and turning and occasionally fussing. I decided to leave him be, but by 6:30 he was outright crying. Ready to get up, I thought. So I went in to get him. On weekends I always volunteer to get Ry in the morning even though Keith often offers to get him so that I can sleep in. I take every opportunity I can to see that smiling face in his crib on weekends because on many weekdays I am out the door before he even wakes up. Anyway, it is about 6:30 on Saturday and I pick him up, and he is clearly still so tired. I thought to myself, this will never fly, but I am going to try to rock him a bit so that he can slowly wake up before I change his diaper and dress him. Low and behold, he was a little dish rag in my arms. No squirming and trying to break free, no reaching for his books on the bookshelf, just resting his head on my shoulder, cuddling Robbie and trying to catch some more zzzzzzz's. It was heaven on earth. Completely unexpected. He actually slept until 8:15 cuddling with me on the rocking chair. I can't even remember the last time he slept in my arms. It was priceless, and not something that I take for granted. Love to feel like my baby still needs me like that!

No comments: